Monday, February 13, 2012

Great Responsibilities

I often feel overwhelmed by my responsibilities. Today I finished Valentines day orders, which was so fun.....and so much work! Along with that, I took care of my 3 needy girls, kept up with laundry, the dishes, preparing meals, hosting playgroup, baths, a workout, etc, etc. But at the end of the day I often turn on the news to unwind. I enjoy the news, I always have. Even in high school! Mostly the weather, I used to want to be a meteorologist! Haha. Anyway, tonight the news was filled with Whitney Houston's death. They showed an interview of her where she said that she knew God had given her a gift. Her voice, obviously. A lot of people can sing, but her gift was big!!

You remember that verse Obama poorly referenced and used to illustrate rich people and taxes?

"For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required."
Luke 12:48

Jesus was talking about a slave to his master, which can be most related to an employee to employer relationship in modern day. I think most of us can say work feels like our master sometimes! But I know that Gods word can always be used in our lives personally. Even if Jesus was talking about a slaves responsibilities, we can apply His word to us, today.

Here is a version in the Message Bible, I love this version.

"Great gifts mean great responsibilities; greater gifts, greater responsibilities!"(Luke 12:48 MSG)

I do think the rich need to be held to the same tax standards, but I don't think this verse was appropriate for that. God has given us gifts, all of us. Whitney Houston's gifts gave her a public life and a job in the entertainment industry. My husband and children are my greatest gifts, among so many. But I am not in the public eye. So although at a different level, our responsibilities do exist.

It's how we choose to use our gifts. I will choose right now to use my gifts to glorify the One who gave them to me. My Master.

"God, I am sorry that I often don't appreciate all the gifts you've given me. But I take every and all responsibilities that go along with my gifts. Help me on the hard days! Give me Your strength God."



No comments:

Post a Comment