Thursday, September 20, 2012

The List

It's 11:50pm and I just sat down for the first time all day. Except for maybe using the potty? I'm not sure if I even did that! I am blogging to unwind and collect my thoughts for the day. I have my lists for the week at my bedside and not much has been crossed off for the day. Yes, more than one list.  Its one of those weeks where you have a few of them going. Mine are titled: Kings, Sams, Hobby Lobby, Cakes, Safeway, Bella's bday, and then the miscellaneous one that collects all my other random thoughts and have to's. I am also about to make another list for Pablo, entitled the "Honey Doo Doo list". He doesnt have to attend the 5 year old Barbie party this weekend so he gets to clean the bathrooms for me! Hence the "doo doo" part of the the honey do list! Hee hee. I'm thankful he is always more than willing to do that dirty job.

After knocking out 3 of my 4 lists for the week by Thursday, I felt somewhat accomplished. I even rewarded myself with some flowers at King Soopers. They had Gladiolus for $1.25 a bunch! Any color you would want. I went ahead with the white, and Bella liked the pink ones too. But I felt like I should grab one more. I walked away and then felt God telling me to still grab another. With 3 long bunches of flowers at home I felt confused but loved looking at them nonetheless. And shoved them in a vase and set them aside for arrangements later.

I had another sub list to my ongoing miscellaneous list that said "nap time". As you can imagine this was what I had planned to accomplish in the short hour and a half I got to myself while the girls slept. I may have been a little too optimistic in my list for that short time, but hey, worth a shot.

First on the list, make sugar cookie dough. Got that done, check. After cleaning up the kitchen I walked outside to take out the trash and I ran into my elderly neighbor. We chatted for what seemed like a moment. We talked about her garden, what books she just read, how much she loves Obama and hates Mitt, her medical bills, and then how her grown divorced daughter living with her is having a hard time.  Then suddenly her daughter arrived home early from work. Tears in her eyes trying to hold it all back she explained what a bad day she had. Her boss shorted her hours on her paycheck to top it off, and she was emotional. After a long hug she spilled the rest to me with a short conversation. Then I heard a, "hi mommy", Lili found me outside with her blankie in tow.

After going back inside with Lili, I walked into the kitchen and saw the extra bunch of flowers. Aaaaaaah, clarity. That's what they were for. That's WHO they were for. Once again Gods intentionality blows my mind.

God had a list for me today. On His list I was supposed to buy flowers, check. Give them to my neighbor, check. And just give the love of Jesus to her today, CHECK.  I feel so accomplished when I think of it that way. But when I look back on my list of 5 other unaccomplished tasks from nap time, I feel like I got nothing done. But those are all things that will get done. The flowers were on Gods list for me today.

I cant help but think how many other things God had on my list today that I may not have done. What other things does He have for me to do tomorrow? Its way more exciting than buying paper towels at the Safeway $5 Friday sale that's for sure!

God help me to listen to your gentle instruction for my day, help me to accomplish your lists tomorrow and always. Use me to accomplish your tasks! I want to make checks on your list, and to love people like you love them!

2 comments: