Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The End of a Season

I just returned from a long walk at dusk. When the sun is setting and the clouds are all tinted shades of pink and purple. The dark outline of the mountains are contrasted against the glowing blue sky. This is my favorite time of day. Everyone is settling into their homes for an evening with their families. But as I left mine during bath time (great husband I have to take over nightly duties), I have a heaviness in my heart. Although this is my favorite time of day to enjoy Gods glory, I have a pang in my heart tonight. You see, the end of the summer is here.

Although fall equinox is not till the 22nd, we always seem to look ahead to the next season. Hence, Starbucks already serving their pumpkin spice latte today! But as I walked tonight, I passed our pool and the pool in the neighborhood next to ours. Both eerily vacant with still waters. The sun is sitting at a different angle, and even due to our record dry season, the trees are yellowing and leaves starting to fall. It seems everything and everyone around me is already over this season and onto the next season. Except me.

I'm not always good with change. Especially when it takes away from my hopes and dreams. For example, I always have big plans for the summertime. Lots of evening walks, pool days, and adventures....although we had many of these, the busyness of life seems to outweigh these. Every time summer ends I mourn. I don't look forward to the dead dry ugly plants. The squishy wet moldy leaves, blah. I hate the color orange. I despise Halloween, and all the ugly evil things that go along with it.

Even though I go through this every year, this year is worse than most. Probably because a season in my life is also about to end. This change in season outside is a mirror of what's going on in my heart. And what's going on in our family. We strongly feel that God is going to take us somewhere soon. Maybe it's a move? Who knows. But all of the signs from God are pointing to change. Have I mentioned I don't like change?

So as everyone else looks ahead to the next season. I am not ready. Im staying in this season until the next one is officially here. I'm not quite in the mood for a pumpkin spice latte, or a move. But hopefully I will be soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you're in a hard place, Nina :( I'm never ready for summer to leave either... and I pray that the other changes get easier for you!

    ReplyDelete