Monday, March 7, 2011

Grow!

God tells us to be slow to anger, it is all over the Bible. I never really understood this until lately. Usually if my children do something super naughty I can feel steam shoot from my ears instantly! For example, the other night Bella was in the bath and was pouring water in cup fulls onto the towel, rug, and bathroom floor. My first reaction was the instant rise in temperature and anger. In my head I was thinking, "she knows better!". So after an angry reaction and a gasp with a "NO!", I asked her why she did that!? She then looked at me with innocent brown eyes and in her small voice said, "I want to grow flowers!".  I suddenly melted, and explained to her why flowers could not grow there.  You see, we have been growing some seeds in little pots and she is in charge of watering them. Aunt Nichole gave us little egg pots, with soil and flower seeds. Isabella was way to excited to wait to grow them outside, so we went ahead and started them. I hope they don't grow too big before we need to put them in a bigger pot outside!

So in her naughty-ness she was actually trying to make something beautiful grow on the bathroom floor! In her naive actions she does not realize that the conditions are not quite right. No soil, seeds, pots, or sun. I could not help but think of all the things in my life I try to grow that are not in ideal conditions. For instance, relationships. There are some friendships that I occasionally want to water. Some people that I want a relationship with but the conditions are not right. My friend Hayley, who was in my wedding (5 years ago this summer) went to school in Seattle for 4 years. While she was off at college, I was having babies and starting my life with Pablo. With occasional phone calls and visits, this "watering" was not doing much for our friendship. I was often upset that this friendship was not stronger. Its not that we didn't love each other, or want a friendship, we were just in different places. Different physical locations, and also different places in our lives. She now lives back in Denver, and we have been able to reconnect and relate to each other on so many different levels! She is A maz zazing!

Sadly, there are many friendships I could try harder at growing. Yet, I have come to realize that this just may not be the time for those friendships to grow. So I will wait, maybe one day the soil will be just right. I will not force a friendship, but I will continue to love from a distance. Knowing that they will always have a special place in my heart. Who knows what the future holds! LOVE to you all.

Here are our little pots in the kitchen window!

If you ask Bella what kind of flowers she's growing, she would tell you "Daisies, pink ones, and lellow ones!"

1 comment:

  1. Love this Nina! So true about friendships...

    ReplyDelete