Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Comfort

It feels like I just survived a war. Coming out of 3 days of the stomach flu...all 3 girls got it! Yuck, yuck, yuck. Bella has never gotten it until now so this is my first "experience" with this sickness. NOT FUN. Having done at least 12 loads of laundry, changing sheets, jammies, towels, bathing children, bathing myself, washing cups, wiping down all surfaces like a mad woman, I am so tired! At one point when it was at its worst, it looked like a scene from a horror film! Gabi, then Lili, then Bella. All 3 looking at me with their big doughy brown eyes, helpless and hurting. Broke my heart.

Yet the positive things that came out all this awfulness was astounding. How? Well, I had numerous encounters with the girls separately that allowed me to hold and comfort them. In the craziness that is my life, I often just rush from one task to the next. Starting a meal, turning on the TV to occupy them while I try to cook dinner. The sweet quiet moments happen daily, but this was so different! Sure the girls need me on a daily basis, but they REALLY needed me this week. In the pain and suffering they clung to me. Even after they were starting to feel better their tired worn out bodies snuggled in my arms for hours. Looking to me for comfort.

So many times during this, when the girls were suffering the most...I couldn't help but ask God why. Why do we go through anything difficult in life? While God only knows, I do know this much from this experience...

In the most difficult points in my life, to where did I run? Who or what did I cling to? No matter what I am going through and no matter why, I have to cling to God. I don't always. I should more often. Just like in this horrible experience, I was able to hold my children through the pain. Just like my longing to comfort my children, God also longs to comfort us! Wow. It is so easy to look at God as this higher power that judges and is scary. But He is a loving and caring parent to all of us. He truly does care.

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment